Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 2423|Reply: 17
Collapse the left

[Crochet] My scarf gets skinny!

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-8-4 11:58
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi everybody
I'm learning to crochet,  but my projects keep getting skinny as I go, my friend/teacher said to ad a couple of Chain stitches at the end of each row, even so, my scarf still got skinny. Any suggestions?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2015-8-7 23:00
| Show all posts
Hi GirafitaEnChile...........
A few basic tips that will hopefully help you..............

1) Stitch markers............. - Stitches usually get lost at the beginning or end of the row. This happens if you miss the last stitch in your row (which is easy to do because it folds over a bit onto the edge of the work). To help remedy this, I place a stitch marker in the first stitch of every row to remind me that this is the last stitch of the next row. Remove the marker before working that stitch, and put it in the first stitch of the following row..... and so on. (see Tip 3 for double crochet; see Tip 4 for single crochet)

2) ALWAYS count your stitches after every row...............:funk:

3) Double crochet - the turning chain (chain 3 at the beginning of every row) normally counts as a stitch...................(Read your pattern carefully -  it will tell you if it does or does not). If it does, and you forget to stitch into your turning chain at the end of the next row, you will end up losing a stitch and end up with skinny work!!  So, as a reminder................., use a stitch marker to mark the 3rd chain of your turning chain so you know where your last stitch of the next row should go.( This is similar to placing a marker in the first stitch of your row, as mentioned in TIP 1)

4) Single Crochet -   you can lose a stitch by missing the first stitch in your row. In single crochet, your turning chain (chain 1 at the beginning of each row) typically does not count as a stitch. After you chain 1, you will single crochet into the last stitch you made on the previous row which, by now, you will have learnt to put a stitch marker in so that you know where to make your first stitch...............!!!:lol

Crochet patterns vary tremendously. Always follow the instructions carefully as you work, especially as a beginner.................... Whether or not your turning chain counts as a stitch is important so, marking the first stitch (either the turning chain or your first actual stitch) is always a big help! Also, by counting your stitches after every row, yes I know it's a pain, but it will help you crochet a rectangle rather than an elongated triangle.:(

Comments

Lots of good tips!  Details Reply Post time 2021-12-10 20:33
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-9 11:00
| Show all posts
LuckyLocket's post is perfect! I had this problem with my first time crocheting. It's easy to do when you aren't used to seeing the structure of the stitches. There are some good color coded pics out there of the parts of a stitch, it really helps to see.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-10-20 11:36
| Show all posts
On another note, if the scarf just looks to be getting narrow but the number of stitches is the same in every row, it might just be a case of needing to block it later.
Some yarns will curl like crazy and a nice blocking will bring things back to place.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-26 23:50
| Show all posts
I just taught myself to crochet and I did the same thing, LOL.  You are not knitting the last stitch.  Put stitch markers on both ends so you know where your last stitch is.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-10 20:33
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-14 14:23
| Show all posts
I used to do this too - always missed the last stich. Counting them after each row will help for sure.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-2-25 02:35
| Show all posts
Скорее всего ошибки в подсчётам или затягивании петель.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-2-17 03:47
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-10 18:01
| Show all posts
very helpful, thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-9-27 03:28
| Show all posts
gracias, muy practico

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-2 04:49
| Show all posts
LucyLocket great tips. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-20 04:22
| Show all posts
good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-4-21 21:36
| Show all posts |Read mode
very nice
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-24 15:58 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.046978 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list